Friday 13 February 2009

Rice Pudding


I have wanted to make rice pudding for a while, but was really put off by complicated instructions for soaking the rice, then throwing the water away, and then infusing milk with vanilla etc, etc, etc.

I knew there had to be an easier way. So, I looked in the Remoska recipe leaflet that came with, and it was just as complex!

So, I thought, maybe on the back of the packet of rice? And there it was. Easy as pie. Well, easier than pie actually.

60g rice, 1 pint of milk, sugar to taste, flavourings if wanted, and bake in oven for two hours.

Well, knowing that there will be little evaporation in the remoska, I doubled up, but instead of 2 pints of milk, I added 1 and 3/4 pints of milk.

Cooked it for two hours. It was still a little runny, but Heston Blumental said it would continue to absorb milk when cooling. So I turned the lid off, popped on some foil to stop it developing a skin, then went out for an hour.

When we got back, well, to our shame, my daughter and I ate THE LOT!!!! I won't even tell you how little time it took!

She decided it would be even better with some cream and extra sugar, and did that when I was upstairs. And she was absolutely right.

This is SERIOUSLY dangerous food, and FAR too easy.

1 comment:

  1. The Remoska was MADE for rice pudding. Here is a family standard that I make all the time:

    Charlotte's Rice Pudding

    2/3 cup of rice
    3 - 1/3 cup of milk
    1/4 tsp of salt
    1 tsp of vanilla
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/8 tsp of nutmeg
    sprinkle of cinnimon
    1 Tbsp of butter
    1/2 cup sultanas

    Combine all ingredients in the Remoska, less butter and sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar.

    Turn on the magic red switch and come back 1 hour later, shut off and stir in butter and vanilla. Perfection.

    Serves 4-6 people.

    A little note here, the magic of this recipe is actually the sultanas, they are very plump and taste nothing like normal yucky wee gritty sultanas.

    Making this on the hob is a massive faff because you have to stir until your arm just about breaks off else you get burning. In the oven it dries out, in the slow cooker the rice turns to mush. I even tried it in the rice cooker, burns.

    I love my Remoska.

    ReplyDelete