Friday 13 February 2009

Chicken Curry


This is a favourite dish I like to make, and I usually do it on the hob. I tried it in the Remoska last night.

Chop a few onions and garlic and soften in olive oil in the remoska.
Add a tablespoon of curry powder and let it cook off.
Add three or four diced chicken breasts and cook until white.
Add two tins of evaporated milk, and cook until the liquid thickens to a curry texture.

On the hob, this takes half an hour, but it's half an hour of continual stirring and my pan is rubbish so it really sticks.

The onion and cooking chicken didn't take that long in the remoska, but I did think, after 90 minutes that the milk would never thicken.

It did eventually, but it was a bit curdled. Maybe the milk was too hot for too long without doing thickening.

It tasted just as good, but the texture wasn't brilliant. I loved the fact that I didn't have to stir it and it slides off the non stick pan.

I think I'd try in again in the remoska, just to see how I could stop it from curdling. Maybe use less milk? I'd be perfectly happy to make it when camping.

2 comments:

  1. You are right, there is a temperature/time at which milk curdles. Here's what I'd do: use creme fraiche, it is often used in cooking because it doesn't curdle. You can get away with less of it, or if you are concerned about calories, use the half-fat kind or water down the normal stuff. The other option is to use less milk and some corn flour to thicken... not too much or it'll be awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Try my Biryani its on the Remoska User Recipe page.

    ReplyDelete