Tuesday 20 January 2009

It's a Sausage Thing


I'm working my Remoska overtime today.


This evening I made a sausage type thing.


I layered 6 peeled and sliced potatoes on the bottom, threw in a pack (350g) of quartered mushrooms and put 16 sausages on top. (I had to use them by the sell by date, and I thought we could use the extra cooked ones in sandwiches tomorrow.)


I didn't add any liquid, as I figured the sausages and mushrooms would add enough, nor did I add seasoning as the sausages were quite strong.


They needed about an hour and a half to cook, which is ok. The potatoes had a wonderful texture, the sausages were lovely and soft, not too crispy like they can get in the oven, and the mushrooms were like, well, mushrooms! lol


I did boil some green beans as I forgot to add those to the remoska, but if I were camping, I think I would have just thrown them in too. I imagine that most of what I cook will be along the chop it up and throw it in variety.


I wasn't overly keen on the fat from the sausages going into the potatoes, so I would only ever use very good quality sausages for this. Luckily, the ones I used were very good quality ones. Cheaper ones might be ok for a breakfast thing when you can use the oil to 'fry' an egg or the bacon.


I will definately make a variation of this again, but might try chopping up the sausages into chunks, and chopping the potatoes into chunks instead and making it more casseroly. A tin of chopped tomatoes thrown in wouldn't go a miss either.


I am beginning to think you can just throw anything in, and it will come out great. My son thinks we shouldn't use anything else to cook with!

No comments:

Post a Comment